To ensure you build bone density and to maintain strong healthy bones, do these ten things:
- Do weight-bearing exercises, such as walking, running, or jumping, at least thirty minutes most days.
- Don’t drink more than two alcoholic drinks a day.
- Don’t smoke.
- Eat a calcium-rich diet.
- If you are at risk for osteoporosis, ask your doctor for a bone density test when you near menopause age.
- Learn about osteoporosis by reading Osteoporosis: Avoid Brittle Bones, Bend it Like Beckham.
- Limit soft drinks to no more than one per day.
- Limit your salt intake because it causes you to excrete more calcium than you would otherwise.
- Do resistance training—weight lifting or strength training—twice a week.
- Take vitamin calcium and D supplements, such as Citracal with vitamin D.
To learn more about osteoporosis read Ways to Avoid Osteoporosis: What to Do and What Not to Do and Phosphorus Foods.