Most people want to avoid toxins but still get rid of fungus, molds, and germs in their home. There are many natural antifungals and disinfectants that can do the trick, and these eco-friendly potions are as effective as the noxious and toxic ones you buy at the store. Most are also cheaper. Green cleaners have become so popular, in fact, commercial suppliers, such as Phil Consolino, president of Atlanta-based SouthEast Link, are phasing out many harsh chemicals and replacing them with eco-friendly products. If you want to make your own cleaners to rid your home of fungus, mold, and germs, here’s some quick and easy recipes.
Antifungals: Grapefruit seed extract and essential oils eucalyptus, lavender, patchouli, rosemary, and tea tree oil contain natural fungicides, so add a few drops to any of the following recipies.
- Mix 10 drops essential oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons borax, 1/4 cup liquid castile soap, 1/4 cup white vinegar, and 8 cups hot water.
- Mix 20 drops grapefruit seed extract to one quart water. Spray on mold and rinse.
- Mix 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide or white vinegar with 1 cup water. Spray but do not rinse.
- Spray a mixture of 2 teaspoons tea tree oil and 2 cups hot water on mold and scrub clean.
- To inhibit mold, add 2 teaspoons of essential oil to 2 cups of water in a spray bottle, or use 20 drops of grapefruit seed extract to 1 quart of water.
Disinfectants: Grapefruit seed extract and essential oils eucalyptus, lavender, patchouli, rosemary, and tea tree oil have natural antiseptic properties, so add a few drops to any of the following recipies
- Mix 5 drops essential oil, 1/2 cup of borax powder, and 1 gallon of hot water.
- Mix 5 drops essential oil, 1/8 cup white vinegar, and 1 cup hot water.
- Mix 3 drops essential oil, 1 teaspoon borax, 3 teaspoons white vinegar, and 2 cups hot water.
- Use 3 percent hydrogen peroxide straight on any surface you need to disinfect.
Some essential oils can be harmful to pregnant women. Pregnant
If you’re interested in purchasing essential oils and adding them to your recipes, here’s some great ones:
- Eucalyptus 100% Pure Essential Oil. Besides its antifungal and disinfectant properties, eucalyptus has a cooling and deodorizing effect on the body, so it helps with fevers and migraines. It is also used for muscle aches, pains, sprains, coughs, asthma, throat infections, sinusitis, and inflammation.
- Lavender 100% Pure Essential Oil – 10 ml. Lavender has a long list of applications besides its antifungal and disinfectant properties. It will help you sleep, moisturize your scalp, and relieve depression and tension.
- Patchouli 100% Pure Essential Oil. Patchouli oil does not just smell good and have antifungal and disinfectant properties. It also benefits the skin and helps with infections and bug bites.
- Rosemary 100% Pure Essential Oil. Besides its antifungal and disinfectant properties, rosemary is a pain reliever and helps the respiratory tract. People also use it for headaches and migraines, and aroma therapists use it to relieve poor circulation, muscle aches, rheumatic joint pains, water retention, cellulite, respiratory problems, colds, and flu.
- Tea Tree 100% Pure Essential Oil. Tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic, bactericide, fungicide and anti-viral with anesthetic qualities. It is also an immune stimulant that fights infection and promotes clear skin.
If you’ve never used essential oils, read Essential Oil Safety Tips to learn more about how to safely used these oils.