If you want to make sure you don’t look tired, don’t overpluck your eyebrows. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons found that when a person has elevated brows—the distance between the brows and the eyelids is higher than average—other people thought the person was tired. Interestingly, however, the surgeons found that what made an even bigger difference was eyebrow shape. So, to make sure people don’t think you’re tired, sad, or depressed, use these tips to get the right brow shape.
- Using an eyebrow pencil, place it vertically against one nostril and carry it to the point where it meets the eyebrow edge. Make a small dot at that point.
- Angle the pencil, hold it against your nostril, and cross it through the center of the eye. This is the point where your eyebrow should arch, so make a small dot.
- Angle the pencil from the nostril to the outside edge of the eye. This is the point where the eyebrow should end, so make another dot.
- The three dots provide a guideline for how you should shape your eyebrows and how you should tweeze your eyebrows. If your eyebrows are already thin, you don’t need to tweeze, and, in fact, you should probably thicken them. If you need to tweeze, don’t over tweeze, and if you have long eyebrow hairs cut them because it will make your eyebrow hairs lie flat and help to provide the proper eyebrow shape.
- To determine the thickness or thinness of the eyebrows, you need to consider your overall facial features. If you have thick hair and large features, your eyebrows need to be thick and dramatic, so use an eyebrow pencil. If you are petite with fine hair and fine features, your eyebrows need to be thinner and subtle, so an eyebrow powder is better.
- To add thickness to the eyebrow, select the appropriate color. Don’t get a color too dark or too light. It should match your hair color. If you use a pencil make hair-like strokes, and if you use powder make upward/outward strokes. Completely fill the eyebrow area, and check your progress along the way.
- Once you’ve finished the shaping, set the brows with a clear mascara, such as Tweezerman BrowMousse Styling Gel. Then you’ll be good to go, and you’ll be looking all fresh and perky.