In case you didn’t know it, hangovers can’t be cured because as long as you have alcohol in your system, you’re going to suffer. According to the New York Times, some alcohols cause worse hangovers, and it seems to be the darker colored alcohols cause the most problems. So, from the most troublesome to least likely, here’s the list: bourbon, red wine, rum, whiskey, white wine, gin, and vodka.
Although your hangover can’t be cured, here’s a few tips to help relieve the symptoms.
- Consume Water. I heard this one a long time ago. Part of the reason people claim you get a hangover is because you get dehydrated. So, the solution is for every alcoholic drink you consume, you also drink a glass of water of equal size.
- Don’t Drink. If you don’t want a hangover, don’t drink. Obvious, but I thought I’d throw this one in, just in case.
- Drink Fruit Juice. Fruit juice contains fructose, and fructose helps you burn alcohol quickly. So, when you drink it the next morning, it should help alleviate your symptoms sooner.
- Eat First. Food slows down the absorption of alcohol into the bloodstream and brain. So, if you eat before drinking, you’re less likely to get a hangover. The best foods to slow alcohol absorption are dairy products, bread, and pasta.
- Magnesium Plus. Some findings have shown hangovers are in part due to low magnesium levels. Try taking some magnesium plus some Vitamin B1 (thiamine) and drinking extra water before your night out on the town.
- Prickly Pear Cactus Juice. Five hours before downing drinks, consume at least 8 ounces of prickly pear cactus juice. It significantly reduces hangover symptoms because it has anti-inflammatory effects. Buy this juice at health food stores.
- Replenish Amino-Acids. When you drink you can lose valuable amino acids, and some people claim replenishing them helps with hangovers. You can purchase amino-acids at health food stores.
- Take Alka-Seltzer or Aspirin. Many people claim taking Alka-Seltzer or two aspirin before falling asleep, helps reduce the hangover effects in the morning.
- Take Vitamin B. Your body is under stress when you drink, and you lose vitamins. Vitamin B can help shorten the time your body feels stressed out and, it can help replenish lost vitamins.