- Women ‘s waists should measure no more than 35 inches.
- Men’s waists should measure no more than 40 inches.
To accurately measure your waist follow these steps:
- Find you hipbone and place a tape measure just above it.
- Make sure the tape measure is level.
- Pull the tape measure snug, but not so tight it presses into your skin.
- Breathe out (don’t suck in like the woman in the picture) and measure.
If you want an even more accurate measure of whether or not you have too much fat, compare your hip and waist circumference ratio. To do this enter your waist measurement, hip measurement, and sex at this site. It will calculate and tell you your waist to hip ratio.
Another way to determine your fat index is through your body mass index (BMI). To determine BMI enter your height and your weight (either in english our metric units) in our Adult BMI Calculator at the bottom of the page on the right. It will calculate your BMI, and let you know how you compare within the four categories: underweight, normal, overweight, and obese.