This salad is a bone-builder because it has watercress for calcium, daikon radishes and shiitake mushrooms for vitamin C—calcium is absorbed better when taken with vitamin C—and walnuts because they promote bone health and are a good source of boron—which is possibly needed by the body to prevent osteopenia, osteoporosis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
8 ounces of fresh watercress
20 thin slices of daikon radish
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
5 large shittake mushrooms, sliced and cooked with 1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 pinch sea salt
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/8 cup olive oil
2 springs fresh lemon thyme
- Wash, drain, and dry the watercress removing any large stems
- Wash, dry and thinly slice shiitake mushrooms. Cook them for five minutes over medium heat in the olive oil and then cool.
- Whisk together dressing.
- Mix watercress, radish slices, and mushrooms.
- Drizzle on dressing and mix—I usually don’t use all the dressing.
- Divide onto four plates, sprinkle walnuts over each, and enjoy.